International Transfer

You should apply for international transfer admission if:

  1. You have already started your post-secondary studies at another college or university after graduating from high school or earning a GED.
  2. You will have earned 24 hours of required transferable coursework at another college or university. The option to use coursework in progress is not available to international applicants. 
  3. You are neither a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

Find information on transfer credits here. For questions, email


Key Transfer Admission Dates

Summer/Fall Enrollment

  • ApplyTexas Application Opens
    August 1
  • Common App Opens
    September 1
  • Deadline to Apply
    March 1
  • Admission Decisions Released
    Mid to Late May

Spring Enrollment

  • ApplyTexas Application Opens
    March 1
  • Deadline to Apply
    September 1
  • Admission Decisions Released

Required Application Materials

  1. The Online Application Form

    International transfer applicants are encouraged to use the ApplyTexas application. They may also use the Common App.


  2. Your Application Fee

    Pay the non-refundable $90 application fee when you submit your application. If you are unable to pay the fee online, you can pay by mail in U.S. dollars or online once you get access to your MyStatus Portal. Make checks payable to The University of Texas at Austin and write your UT EID on your check or money order. Do not send cash or personal checks.

  3. Essay(s)

    Along with your application, submit one essay. Applicants to the School of Architecture and Studio Art, Art Education and Art History must submit an additional essay. We recommend submitting your essay in the application. You may also submit the essay using the Document Upload System in MyStatus.

    Essays and Short Answers

  4. Your College Transcripts and High School Transcript

    Send us official transcripts documenting all coursework you have attempted at any college or university. If you have attended more than one college or university, we’ll need a transcript from each school, even if the credits earned at one school were transferred to another. In addition to the college transcript, submit your high school transcript. Please ensure your official record or transcript (mark sheet) includes a complete record of your secondary studies. You will need to include 9th grade even if that work was completed at a different institution. You should also include copies of your official final examinations taken at the end of the secondary school program, including external exams such as the General Certificate of Education (GCE) “O” and “A” level examinations, school leaving certificates and matriculation exams. Please provide official English translations together with the original language records. Transcripts must be submitted by the deadline. We cannot accept transcripts submitted via email.

    Transcript Info

  5. Resume

    Submit your resume offering additional information about your achievements using the Document Upload System in MyStatus. Your resume should include your previous five years of academic, extracurricular, community and work activities and your honors and awards. You can also include high school accomplishments if they took place within the last five years. Be sure to incorporate:

    • All your achievements, not just those that didn’t fit on the application.
    • Details about what each activity involved rather than a general description.
    • The number of hours per week and weeks per year you spent on each activity.

Additional Materials

If applicable, the following materials may be required. All required items must be received by the appropriate deadline.

Major-Specific Items

Certain majors have specific prerequisites for transfer applicants. These items can be viewed under each college and school on our Colleges & Degrees page. Please be sure to review the prerequisites for your first and second choice majors.

Colleges & Degrees

Letter(s) of Recommendation

Ask someone who knows you well to write a letter about your character and accomplishments. Letters of recommendation are appreciated but not required. We encourage you to submit letters from sources outside of your school. Submit your letters of recommendation using the Document Upload System in MyStatus.

Residency Affidavit

You may qualify for residency if you aren’t a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident but have established Texas residency. The ApplyTexas application will prompt those who indicate they meet these criteria to download the appropriate form. You can submit the affidavit to the address listed on the form.

Texas Residency FAQs


If applicable, submit either an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Not sure if you need to submit the TOEFL or IELTS? Visit our Info for International Students page.

Next Steps

Once you’ve submitted your online application, you can track the completion of your application and submit additional documents in MyStatus. Be sure to regularly monitor MyStatus until your application is listed as complete and submit any outstanding to-do items prior to the deadlines.

  1. Check MyStatus

    You may be asked for additional information after you submit your application. Make it a habit to check MyStatus to stay up to date.


  2. Complete Your Housing Application

    You can apply for housing before you receive an admission decision. Housing is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend applying as soon as possible.

  3. Check Your Email

    We’ll alert you about your admission decision, housing contract and other important details via email. Be sure to check your email regularly.