You are here

Applying for Admission

If you have graduated or will soon graduate from high school or receive a GED and you have not enrolled in another college or university after graduating, apply for freshman admission.

To be considered, submit the following:

The online application

Freshman applicants can submit either the ApplyTexas application or the Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success application. Use your application to report your complete academic record, including college credit earned as dual credit.

More Information

Your application fee

Pay the non-refundable $75 application fee—$90 for international applicants—when you submit your ApplyTexas or Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success application. Fee waivers are available.

More Information

An essay

Along with your ApplyTexas or Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success application, submit at least one essay.

More Information

Three short answers

Answer at least three short-answer prompts in your ApplyTexas or Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success application.

More Information

Your high school transcript(s)

Send us official transcript(s) documenting all coursework undertaken during your high school career. If your high school does not rank students, include a statement from your school describing its policy, a copy of your school’s profile and a GPA or grade distribution report.

More Information

Any college transcript(s)

Send us official transcript(s) documenting any college credit earned while in high school (dual credit counts!).

More Information

Test scores

Ask testing agencies to send official reports of scores you earned on the SAT or ACT exams. (You must also submit TOEFL or IELTS scores if you are an international applicant.)

More Information

Major-specific items

In addition to reviewing the prerequisites, submit any additional items required by the majors you’ve selected as your first and second choices.

More Information


Submit an expanded résumé offering additional information about your achievements. While this isn’t required, it’s strongly recommended.

More Information

Letter(s) of recommendation

Ask someone who knows you well to write a letter about your character and accomplishments. Letters of recommendation are appreciated but not required.

More Information

Permanent resident card

If applicable, provide a copy of your permanent resident card.

More Information

Student Information Form

If applicable, tell us about your high-school coursework via MyStatus.

More Information

Coursework exemption form

If applicable, submit a form to claim an exemption to the state’s Uniform Admission Policy.

More Information

Residency affidavit

If applicable, submit the residency affidavit.

More Information

Track Your Status

Track the completion of your application in MyStatus—see the Admission tab.