You are here


CAP Offers

Do I have to submit an application to the CAP school I select?

No, you do not. If you complete and submit the online CAP agreement, we will send your application materials to the UT System school you select.

Why wasn’t I offered admission to some of the UT System schools?

All participating UT System schools have established minimum enrollment requirements for CAP students. Students are offered the opportunity to participate in CAP only at the universities for which they meet enrollment requirements.

UT Arlington or UTSA was originally on my list of UT System schools, but it's no longer accepting agreements. Is there some way to put UT Arlington or UTSA back on my list?

No. UT Arlington and UTSA have limited the number of students they will enroll in CAP and accepted agreements from eligible students on a first-come, first-served basis. Once they received enough agreements to reach their limits, the CAP agreement was closed for UT Arlington and UTSA. If you are interested in attending UT Arlington or UTSA as a non-CAP student, contact the school directly.

Can any student attending a UT System school participate in CAP?

No, to participate in CAP a student must have applied to UT Austin, been offered participation in CAP, and returned the online CAP agreement by the deadline.

Participating Universities

Is it too late to get housing or financial aid at the UT System school I select?

The participating UT System schools have made a commitment to provide available housing and financial aid for which CAP participants qualify. It’s easy to transfer your financial aid (FAFSA) information to your UT System school. To apply for scholarships or on-campus housing at a UT System school, contact the school.

May I transfer from one UT System school to another while I'm in CAP?

No, once you enroll at the UT System school you wish to attend during your freshman year, you must complete all your CAP requirements at that institution.

Completing CAP Requirements

How long do I have to complete the requirements?

You have until June 1 (at the end of your freshman year) to provide UT Austin with an official transcript that shows that you have completed a math course beyond College Algebra and earned a minimum of 30 credit hours with a minimum cumulative 3.2 GPA at your selected UT System school.

What happens if I don't complete the requirements by June 1?

If you do not complete the requirements by June 1, you will no longer have guaranteed admission to UT Austin.

Will I have to submit another application or app fee to get into UT Austin?

No, you will not need to submit a transfer application to UT Austin. If you meet the requirements and take advantage of your guaranteed admission to UT Austin, you will not have to submit a transfer application or pay an application fee. During the fall of your freshman year, we'll send you information about the process you must follow to let us know that you intend to enroll at UT Austin.

When will I select a major for my studies at UT Austin?

During the fall of your freshman year, UT Austin will contact you and ask you to complete a process to let us know that you are still interested in taking advantage of your guaranteed admission to UT Austin. As part of that process, you will be asked to tell us about your major choice.

What if I want to select a major other than the ones guaranteed for CAP students?

While enrolled in your freshman year at your participating UT System school, we will contact you and ask you to complete an online process to indicate your desire to return to UT Austin to complete your studies. At that time, you will be asked to indicate to us the major you'd like when you enroll at UT Austin (admission to specific Liberal Arts majors is not guaranteed).

If you request a major outside those guaranteed in the College of Liberal Arts, you’ll need to submit additional items—including two essays, a résumé, official transcripts of any college work you've completed, and any additional items required by the major you selected—to UT Austin by March 1. If you select a major other than the ones guaranteed to CAP students as your first choice, you will compete for admission that major with other transfer applicants. If you aren't admitted to that major (and meet program requirements), you will still be admitted to a guaranteed major in Liberal Arts. (Architecture majors are not available to CAP students for competitive transfer. See the Prospective CAP Students page for more information.)

Additional Requirements

Are there any additional requirements for this program?

Yes. Unless you are exempt, you must also take the exam that is part of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) before enrollment, as must all students who attend a Texas college or university. You may be exempt from the test if you earn at least the minimum score on the ACT, SAT Reasoning or TAKS exam.

The UT System school you select to attend will inform you of additional requirements, if any, that you must fulfill before enrolling for your freshman year. (Note: Students who select
UT Arlington, UTSA or UTRGV will be required to begin classes during one of the Summer 5-week terms.)

How do I find out whether I’m exempt from the TSI requirements?

You may be exempt from the TSI requirement if you received certain scores on the SAT, ACT or TAKS test. If you are exempt from the TSI requirement because of a TAKS score, you must send an official copy of your high school transcript (that includes your TAKS scores) to the UT System school you select. If you are exempt based on SAT or ACT scores, you do not need to send your scores to the UT System school you select if you already submitted those scores to UT Austin when you applied for admission to the university.

What happens if I don't pass the TSI test?

If your score on the TSI test is below the minimum required on one or more sections, you must enroll in a related developmental studies course. Courses taken to satisfy TSI deficiencies do not count as part of the 30 hours in residence required for CAP; the need to complete such courses may adversely affect your ability to complete the CAP requirements. For specific information regarding the TSI test, contact your UT System school.

Coursework and Credit

What is “transferable credit”?

Transferable credit refers to the credit hours someone takes at one university that can be transferred to another university. In connection to CAP, the courses you take at the UT System school you attend while enrolled in CAP are "transferable" because you will be able to use them as credit at The University of Texas at Austin if you eventually enroll here. For an individual course to be “transferable,” you must receive at least a grade of C or a "passing" grade on coursework offered on a “Pass/Fail” grading basis.

Which courses are transferable?

UT Austin maintains an online list of approved courses for CAP students. If you successfully fulfill your CAP requirements, the courses that you select from the list will transfer to UT Austin. You should always consult with an academic advisor at your participating CAP university before making a final decision about which courses to take.

May I count placement credit, summer or Maymester credit toward the 30 hours?

No, you must take at least 30 hours of required transferable coursework while you are enrolled at your selected UT System school in the fall and spring — with the exception of UTA, UTSA or UTRGV whose program begins in the summer. When you enroll in UT Austin during the fall semester following your CAP year, any placement credit that you have earned (from Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, or dual credit courses in high school, for example) will be evaluated for credit beyond your 30 hours and accepted according to UT Austin’s standard policies. UT Austin requires you to take all of your required CAP coursework while you are enrolled for the fall and spring semesters at your selected UT System school (except UTA, UTSA or UTRGV). Courses taken during a “mini-mester” or “Maymester” at your UT System school will not count toward the 30-hour requirement. If you do have additional coursework that you think is transferable when you enroll at UT Austin, the university will consider those courses for transfer credit.

May I take courses during the summer before or after my freshman year?

Taking courses from the prescribed list to satisfy your CAP requirements is a must. You should take no college coursework the summer before you begin your CAP participation (except if you are attending UTA, UTSA or UTRGV).  Doing so might interfere with your ability to enroll in appropriate CAP coursework during your freshman year. However, you may plan to take courses in the summer following completion of your CAP coursework (the summer between your freshman and sophomore years).