Internal Transfer for Current Students
If you are currently an undergraduate student at The University of Texas at Austin and interested in changing your major, you may be eligible to apply for internal transfer.
The internal transfer process is highly competitive, especially for certain colleges and schools, and some majors only offer internal transfer for fall admission (application opens in spring). Consideration is based on a holistic review of your academic performance and other materials you must submit.
Tips Prior to Applying
If you are hoping to switch to a major in another college or school other than the one in which you are currently enrolled, we encourage you to do the following:
- Know the process. The university has published procedures for those seeking internal transfer. Become familiar with them.
- Be aware of transfer admission requirements. Most colleges and schools post information on their websites to inform prospective students of the credentials applicants need to be competitive in the internal transfer admission process. Review those details so you know what you have to do to become a strong contender (and so you can decide whether you think that will be possible).
- Talk with your advisor. Advisors can work with you to decide on a class schedule that will help you pursue your goals while also staying on track for on-time graduation. Note: Some colleges and schools may require that you attend an information session before meeting with an advisor.
Need help navigating the internal transfer process or exploring majors and careers? The academic advisors in the Vick Center for Strategic Advising and career education professionals in Texas Career Engagement work with students to explore their strengths and interests, identify majors and careers that align with their goals and plan for internal transfer. You can schedule with a Vick Center advisor online.
To be considered for internal transfer, please review the following information and submit the UT Austin Internal Transfer Application.
Internal transfer requirements
Current UT Students in any undergraduate college or school may transfer to any other college or school within the university only under the general procedures and conditions described in the General Information Catalog.
The online application
The Internal Transfer Application includes questions related to your academic history and extracurricular activities at UT and requires you to submit a copy of your resume. You may submit the Internal Transfer Application for a maximum of two (2) majors, and you will be asked additional specific questions based on the major(s) you chose.
Please contact the Internal Transfer Application processing team at email@example.com for additional assistance.
The majors available for internal transfer vary by semester.
Students applying for internal transfer have the option to apply to up to two majors per application cycle.
Fall Internal Transfer
The application for fall internal transfer admissions opens February 1 and the following colleges and schools accept internal transfers during that semester:
- School of Architecture
- McCombs School of Business
- Moody College of Communication
- College of Education
- Cockrell School of Engineering
- College of Fine Arts*
- Jackson School of Geosciences
- School of Information
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Natural Sciences
- School of Nursing
- Steve Hicks School of Social Work
*The Butler School of Music Internal Transfer Application opens in Fall and can be found here.
Spring Internal Transfer
The application for spring internal transfer admission opens on September 15 and the following colleges and schools accept internal transfers during that semester:
Track your Status
You can visit the Internal Transfer Application Portal for information about the status of your application.